Monday, June 2, 2008


My friend posted a thought on the art of manliness and it reminded me a a discussion Hubby and I had awhile ago.

We have 4 cute and wonderful girls.
We have 1 great, all out boy.

How do you raise a girl "to be all that she can be" and still teach a boy that "it's all him." My girls like to watch the show Annie Get Your Gun but there are some issues that we have with it. Annie has to pretend that she isn't the greatest sharp-shooter so that she can marry the man she loves. But then on the flip side, I don't like the fact that Frank Butler (the love interest) is pig-headed. Plus the song "Anything you can do I can do better" isn't' the most conducive song to teach children to share and appreciate each others talents.

Anyway today's blog is a rambling mess. Hope it makes sense, if not ask questions in the comments and I will try to figure what you are saying.

2 comments:

Robert said...

Personally, I think we have more to worry about from modern entertainment than the classics, but either way, it's another argument for watching with your kids. It can a good launching point for conversations about the characters and whether or not what they are doing is right, wrong, etc. The key, I think, is getting them to think critically about what they are seeing instead of just letting it settle unquestioned into their brains.

Cutey said...

I usually watch the classics with my kids and not the moderns though.