Thursday, August 7, 2008

Faith is like a seed

In my garden I have a peach tree we planted two years ago that still hasn't produced any fruit, but that's okay because I'm waiting patiently for the tree to get old enough to do so. But we do have a pear tree that the previous owners planted that gives us yummy pears in the fall.

The past owners also planted several strawberry plants that give great berries when the patch is weeded often otherwise we get little wimpy berries that are the size of a large pea. Last year I split the patch in half and tried a new gardening idea on one side and left the other to grow normally. The first half of the patch has two plants left.

We've planted ourselves some carrots, cabbage, green onions, and tomatos and they seem to be doing pretty well. But there were some volenteer tomato plants, a sunflower and I think a pepper plant. Time will tell how these fare.

I also had a couple of other plants that just showed up and didn't look like the typical weed so I let them grow to see what would happen. One plant had leaves similar to an oak tree but the middle section of it looked different. This plant produced big pods that I was hoping would turn into pretty flowers but alas, it ended up being a really big ugly weed. There was also another plant that has these beautiful flowers on it but spreads out so much that it chokes out any plants nearby so I'm guessing this is a weed too.

It just goes to show that you can't trust every seed that is planted. Something might look promising or even sound good but be detrimental to the whole garden if they are allow to take root. Then you have the hard task of removing the weed completely otherwise they lay low for a while and then come back with a vengeance. Trust me I know. When I came back from camp my garden was overrun with weeds. One of my garbage cans is FULL of weeds because I would only pull off the top of the plant and didn't bother to get the root out. A lesson I need to learn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Despite the promise of a new car, an all-expense-paid trip to Greece, and a four-piece living room set, you'll once again go for the box with the question mark on it.

I know this has nothing to do with your post, but I liked it and I think it fits.