Monday, July 6, 2009

Buy American (when it's a good idea)

To start off with I'm going to pat my own back by saying what a great American I feel that I am. I truly believe this country is one of the greatest countries in the world and that we have some of the best people living the land of the free and the Home of the Brave. I even do most of my shopping as close to home as I can get. I figure if I'm going to spend money on taxes it might as well be in my own city if not my own county.

But when it comes to buying cars I will only buy Asian. Consumer Reports has always rated most Asian cars above and beyond any American made car. NPR's own Car Talk has mentioned several times how great Toyota's and Honda's are. And I hate to mention it, but the 1994 Toyota Camry Hubby and I bought USED 12 years ago is still running strong at 350,000 plus. Well, from what I hear anyway. We gave it to my Grandpa when it had 190,000ish miles. Then we bought our 1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan and we have had no major repair problems to complain about. Right it's miles sit at 156,683. And we plan on driving it right into the ground. And I haven't even begun to talk about how cool our very used 1991 Toyota Pickup truck is. By the way it's seen 188,903 miles. Nothing compared to what my Grandpa has seen.

Used dealerships don't see many Toyotas or Hondas. But they are full of good old American cars. Of course before you buy ANY car please check out Consumer Reports.

You do the math.

Do YOU think our next car is going to be a Toyota? Or a Honda? Can you blame us for not buying into Government Motors?

2 comments:

James Boley said...

I love reading your blog. Every time I do, I get a smile on my face. Thanks for making me laugh!

HUGS!

Smendrick said...

Gee, this doesn't happen to be in response to all your friends with American cars breaking down, does it?