On a deeper note;
I want to write today about something I've been pondering about for a while. I'm hope that putting these thoughts down into words might help me figure out what I'm trying to learn here.
For a couple of months I felt like I had things under control. Nothing was perfect but I felt nothing was getting away from me. Laundry was doing okay, housework was doing well, not ever done, but I never felt overwhelmed and the kids' homework was being worked on most nights, I felt like I had a good hand on my life.
But then my friend Jane needed some help, so being the person that I am, I dropped everything to help her out. For three days I was over at Jane's house helping her with what ever she needed help with. Hubby even tagged along to help. But now here's the catcher, my house completely fell apart during that time. Not all my time was being spent at Jane's, I had other things come up that also needed my attention but
I spent most of my time there. Not that I blame Jane for any of this. It was my choice and I'm more than happy to live with it. Plus it taught me a very valuable lesson that I need to learn. Which I'm still trying to figure out.
So the question I'm asking you (and I do want all of you to answer) is this. Can you give too much and how do you know what too much is? Does that make sense. I honestly believe right now that I probably went too far in helping Jane. I think I should have helped her after I knew my own house was in order. But honestly if I waited for my own house to be in "Order" before I helped someone, I'd never help anyone, which I know is wrong. There have been several times when I have said things like "Sure I can help you and sure I can get this done too" only to not get any of it done, or instead start to work on my commitment at the last hour only to stress my whole family and Hubby to no end. I don't think they deserve that treatment.
So basically what I'm saying is how do you "Control Chaos" and still serve others?
9 comments:
Hey Cami! It's me Kirsten. I really enjoy your blog. I think that when you find the answer to your question you will have the "Golden Ticket" so to speak! I think that there is definitely such a thing as helping too much, but I also think that people use their busy-ness as an excuse to not help out at all.
You are to be commended for even trying. I think that there are times in your life when "controlling chaos" isn't feasible. People with young children have to devote almost every waking minute to them, leaving little or no time to help others, let alone themselves.
I think it was Elder Ballard in the last conference who admonished church leaders to be careful about what they ask young mothers to do because what they are doing already is so important.
Bottom line--it's important for us to serve others, but as mothers of young 'uns it is the most important for us to serve them. There will be many opportunities for service in your life--some that you can do now and some that will wait until later.
I think you are awesome. You are a good example of someone who is continually striving to do what is right! I apologize for rambling so extensively and I wish you luck with your many endeavors!
You inspired a blog post.
pray. I've decided that's really the only way to figure anything out!
Well, yeah, but you still have to do the whole due-diligence part so you're not just tossing it into His lap without any effort on your part. Too bad; just praying would be a lot easier. Yeah, I'm lazy like that. :)
Mosiah 4: 27
And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a (wo)man should run faster than (s)he has strength. And again, it is expedient that (s)he should be diligent, that thereby (s)he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order.
Cami,
You have a big heart and you give many hours of service. It's OK to say I can give you 2 hours today and 2 hours tomorrow, but I have my hands full at home. You have an amazing husband who deserves to come home to a happy family. Emergencies do come up and you will handle them well, as you done in the past. You are a special person with unique talents that bring lots of sunshine into our lives. Life wouldn't be the same without you!!
Robert said "Well, yeah, but you still have to do the whole due-diligence part so you're not just tossing it into His lap without any effort on your part."
Of course you do. I wasn't trying to imply that you didn't. I guess I should have been more clear.
I wasn't telling you. I was telling our viewers. :)
Guess what, Cami? This post is also now part of an elders quorum lesson!
Post a Comment